Call Us

+61 2 9299 4999

FAQ International students

Do I need to take an IELTS or TOEFL exam before applying to study your Business course?

The Department of Immigration have different requirements for different countries and depending whether you are enrolling from within Australia or Overseas. We can accept any English Certificate from an accredited English language College if you have studied English before.  You can also take an English Placement test at BBC. However, you may be required to take official English Exam such as IELTS or TOEFL in order to apply for a student visa.

Please refer to DOHA website for more information.  or contact us via email at


What is the IELTS test?

IELTS (the International English Language Testing System) is designed to assess the language ability of people who need to study or work where English is the language of communication. It is jointly owned by the British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia and Cambridge Assessment English. IELTS conforms to the highest international standards of language assessment. It covers the four language skills – listening, reading, writing and speaking.

IELTS is recognised by over 10,000 organisations worldwide: this includes Universities and employers in many countries, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the USA. It is also recognised by professional bodies, immigration authorities and other government agencies.


Where and when can I take the IELTS Test?

There is a number of testing centres across the globe, including 50 IELTS test locations around Australia. For more information, please refer to the website.


What Is the TOEFL iBT Test?

The TOEFL iBT test measures your ability to use and understand English at the university level. And it evaluates how well you combine your listening, reading, speaking and writing skills to perform academic tasks.


Where and When Can I Take the TOEFL iBT Test?

The TOEFL test has more test dates (more than 50 per year) and locations (4,500 test centres in 165 countries) than any other English-language test in the world. For more information, please refer to the website.


Can I get a job in Sydney?

Your student visa allows you to work 40 hours a fortnight. Many of our students find jobs in restaurants, hotels, customer service, cleaning and maintenance fields. It’s worth looking at the following job search websites,

Professional work is much harder to get because your student visa only allows you to work 40 hours a fortnight. Learn about your Work Rights and Responsibilities of the Study Visa by clicking here:



I want to know about Student Holidays. 

Full-time students are required to study for a minimum of 36 weeks per year. For VET students, you are therefore eligible to take two terms holidays (there is 6 weeks in a term) per year as well as a 4 week break over the Christmas/New Year Period.  Please refer to our International Student Handbook or contact Student Services for more information.


Is it possible to live on campus?

Bridge Business College does not offer on campus living facilities. However, we can assist you in finding suitable accommodation during your stay. Homestay is available. The cost per week is $AUD230 – $AUD350. This price includes your food and all amenities, (electricity, hot water, gas, heating, washing machine, but not phone calls.) Please refer to our website @


What is a CoE?

CoE – Confirmation of Enrolment. A document provided electronically, which is issued by the registered provider to intending overseas students, which must accompany their application for a student visa. It confirms the overseas student’s eligibility for enrolment in a particular course of the registered provider.


What is the length of the course?

You can study English for as little as four weeks or as long as 48 weeks. We will assess your skill level (give you a test) when you start on your first day and place you into a class according to your ability. We will test you every month and promote you based on your test results. Business varies from 6 months to a package course of several years.


I will need English course before start VET course, what is the length of the English course?

We will assess your English level (give you a test), please contact us to make a booking. There is no cost for this English test.


I will need to study English before I start my Business (VET) course. How will I know how many weeks of English I need?

You can study English for as little as four weeks or as long as 48 weeks. If you can’t supply an English certificate, we will give you an English Placement Test (EPT) to do. From there, we will let you know the number of weeks of English that we recommend, so you achieve the level required (intermediate) to start your business course. The English placement test is free.


What is DOHA?

DOHA is the Department of Home Affairs who manages migration, humanitarian and citizenship policy and programmes.


What is Unique Student Identifier (USI)?

The Unique Student Identifier or USI is a reference number made up of 10 numbers and letters that:

  • creates a secure online record of your recognised training and qualifications gained in Australia, even from different training organisations
  • will give you access to your training records and transcripts
  • can be accessed online, anytime and anywhere
  • is free and easy to create and
  • stays with you for life

You must apply for one as soon as your course starts. When you attend Orientation at Bridge, we will help you to generate your USI number.


Who needs a USI and why?  

If you are a new or continuing student undertaking nationally recognised training and course you need a USI in order to receive your qualification or statement of attainment. If you don’t have a USI you will not receive your qualification or statement of attainment.

Your USI will give you access to an online record of the training you have done since 1 January 2015. You will also be able to produce a comprehensive transcript of your training. This can be used when applying for a job, seeking a credit transfer or demonstrating pre-requisites when undertaking further training.

Please visit the Australian Government Link below for more information.


Can I extend my student visa in Australia? 

Yes, if you meet the requirements. While students are currently enrolled in full-time study, they may renew their student visa in Australia as long as their current student visa is not subject to Condition 8534 ‘no further stay’. It is recommended that steps be taken to renew a student visa approximately one three months before the existing student visa expires.

Please refer to the student visa renewal website for further information on obtaining a new electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE).

Follow the link for more information:


What will happen if I withdraw from my course before I have finished?

Students on study visas are required by law to stay with their education provider for a period of six months of their Principal Course. Applications to change provider will be considered with reference to the following criteria:

  1. The new visa arrangements effective from 1 July 2016, mean colleges may be penalised by the (DOHA) for facilitating student movement between providers and students may have difficulty in renewing their visa should they not complete their original course enrolment.
  2. A Change of Provider request is in a student’s ‘best interest’. Bridge Business College will consider the following cases as grounds for a Change of Provider request acting in a student’s best interest:
  • The student’s career aspirations and goals have changed whereby the students’ needs are significantly improved by moving to a new provider.
  • A student will be reported because they are unable to achieve satisfactory course progress at the level they are studying even after engaging with ‘Counselling’ sessions with student services.
  • A student has compassionate or compelling circumstances necessitating the Change of Provider. These circumstances are generally defined as those beyond the control of the student and which will have an impact upon a student’s course progress or wellbeing.


Can I change to another educational provider? 

The National Code allows for Registered Providers to prevent overseas students from transferring to another College until a period of six months of their Principal Course has been completed. Students who wish to transfer are advised that their decision to transfer to a different education provider may have visa implications and they should contact the nearest Department of Home Affairs (DOHA) office as soon as possible to discuss this with them.

If you are holding a student visa and are thinking about changing your course of study, you need to ensure that you continue to meet all the conditions that apply to your student visa. Please visit DOHA website for more details.

For more information about Transferring between providers, please contact to Student Services or refer to our International Student Handbook found @



If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us. You can send us your question or enquiry in the box provided and you will be contacted by our staff shortly.


Follow us on Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn.
    • We will contact you within one business day.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.